Foot and Ankle surgery
Kelowna Orthopedics provides comprehensive foot and ankle care with Dr. Bridge being the primary provider. Procedures offered include:
- Bunion surgery
- Toe deformity correction
- Foot and ankle fusions
- Major deformity corrections (Rheumatoid foot)
- Ankle ligament instability repair
- Post-traumatic reconstructions
Procedures not offered include:
- Ankle replacement surgery
- Diabetic foot care
- Orthotics fitting
Fractures and Dislocations
Kelowna Orthopedics provides 24/7/365 on-call coverage to the KGH Emergency Room. Our group provides both general and sub-specialized care for trauma to bones and joints in both pediatric and adult patients. In addition, Dr. Demcoe and Dr. Sylvester offer specialized treatment of complex pelvic and acetabular fractures as well as non-union or mal-union of fractures. Trauma that we deal with includes:
- Hip fractures
- Pelvic fractures
- Femur, knee and tibia fractures.
- Ankle and foot fractures.
- Shoulder, clavicle, elbow, forearm and wrist fractures.
- Infections, compartment syndrome, penetrating trauma.
Fractures we do not attend to include:
- Spinal fractures
- Hand and some wrist trauma
- Facial/skull fractures
Hip and Knee
Kelowna Orthopedics provides comprehensive services for hip and knee ailments. Procedures include:
- Hip and Knee Primary joint replacement
- Hip and Knee Revision joint replacement
- Hip Fracture surgery
- Uni-compartamental (partial)knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy and ligament reconstruction
- Knee injections
Hip and knee surgery is primarily done by Dr. Oliver, Boyce, Krywulak, Demcoe as well as Dr. Sylvester. Most types of surgery can be done in Kelowna but occasionally complex cases will be referred to the Complex Joint Clinic in Vancouver.
Comprehensive pre-operative teaching is provided for patients undergoing hip or knee replacement through the Interior Health Surgical Optimization Clinic.
Kelowna Orthopedics uses premium hip and knee replacement implants for all patients. However, in certain cases an upgraded implant may be desirable and it is government policy to charge the patient extra for non-standard implants.
Kelowna Orthopedics is fortunate to have a fellowship trained pediatric orthopedic specialist. Dr. Dobbe offers the services to diagnose and treat a broad range of musculoskeletal services:
- Club Foot and other pediatric foot deformity treatment
- Congenital hip dysplasia treatment
- Scoliosis assessment and follow-up (but not surgery)
- Limb deformity/alignment correction
- Athletic Knee Injuries
- Management of neuromuscular conditions such as Cerebral Palsy
- Management of most other pediatric syndromes or conditions with orthopedic complications.
Working in collaboration with BC Children’s hospital, it is our hope that having a pediatric specialist will assist local families with the care that they require. In some circumstances, complex cases will still have to be referred to Vancouver for multidisciplinary management at BC Children’s hospital.
Shoulder and Elbow
Kelowna Orthopedics offers comprehensive tertiary care of the shoulder and elbow including, but not limited to the following services:
- Shoulder and Elbow Trauma
- Standard and Reverse shoulder replacement, Shoulder Resurfacing
- Arthroscopic and Open Rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder dislocation/instability repair
- Elbow replacement
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Release for elbow stiffness
The majority of the shoulder surgery is done by Dr. Plausinis, Krywulak, and Myden although other members of the group also do basic procedures. Elbow surgery is almost exclusively done by Dr Plausinis.